DIY Painted Mural
TRY YOUR HAND AT COLOR BLOCKING
By now, you’ve probably heard of color-blocking or painted murals. They’re taking over Pinterest and Instagram, and with good reason—they’re a quick and affordable way to bring character into your home. They’re the modern day accent wall, and we’re all about it.
Follow along with our simple tips and tricks…
SHAPE IT UP
- Choose your shapes: stripes, arches, half circles, rainbows, triangles.
- Repeat those shapes at varying sizes in different colors.
- Overlap and intersect shapes. This is where the magic happens!
SKETCH OUT YOUR DESIGN WITH PENCIL
- To make round shapes (circles, arches, rainbows), create your own compass using a pushpin, twine, and a pencil.
- Use FrogTape to tape off straight lines, and free-hand the curves. (No need to be perfect!)
- If you do stripes, use a level and make the stripes the same width as the level (typically two and a half inches wide), which allows you to trace both sides of the level, cutting your time in half.
USE QUALITY MATERIALS
- Use a paint with great coverage, like Clare paint!
- When we say that we LOVE the “Shortcut Angle Sash” brush from Wooster…we mean it. Hands down, the best brush we’ve ever used. Order three. We promise.
- For tiny details, grab a pack of decent quality art brushes. You’ll want to have a few on hand, so you can dedicate one to each color you’re using!
- Stand back often and take pics with your phone to make sure you’re happy with how it’s turning out. It’s actually easier to see spots that need adjusting through a composed photo than with your naked eye.
- Unless you’ve got hands as steady as a surgeon, you’re bound to make mistakes. Don’t sweat it—just paint over them, or make the shape bigger.
- Now it’s time to revel in your creativity. YOU DID THAT! And we want to see! Use the hashtag #SOnesty to share your creation with us.
We shared this DIY Painted Mural article with you in the Spring/Summer 2021 Issue of NEST Magazine. To view the full issue, click here.
Written by Jasmine Bible on August 5, 2021
Posted in 501 Nest Realty, Asheville, Atlanta, Charlottesville, Fredericksburg, Global Content, Greater Louisville, Greensboro, Greenville, Jackson, Lake Norman, Morganton, NEST Magazine, New River Valley, Phoenix, Raleigh-Durham, Richmond, Roanoke, Shenandoah Valley, Spring/Summer 2021, Wilmington
Tags: #diy, color blocking, color trends, DIY color blocking, DIY Painted Mural, mural, painted mural